Sunday, June 15, 2008

On a Sunday

... the title is Jimmy Eat World song. But it is Sunday, and it´s the first real down time I´ve had all week. I suppose Saipina will have to be summarized.

Last weekend, Dave, his wife Ruth, myself, and a 31-year old Bolivian engineer from Beni named Darling went on a whirlwind 4-day adventure in the campo, or countryside, east of Cocha. We lost elevation and stayed in a hotel in the town of Saipina where for several days a local named Roseli who worked in the clinic there led us around to houses of people who had bought either solar cookers or rocket stoves. Then, we interviewed these people to see how they were using the stoves, how well they functioned, etc. The surveys we conducted were from an organization called Climate Care. CEDESOL has an agreement with Climate Care for emissions trading, where the greenhouse emissions savings from the use of rocket stoves and solar cookers get sold to Climate Care to eventually enter the voluntary carbon market. The purpose of the surveys is to make sure that, in fact, people are using the stoves and therefore saving emissions. Whatever your feelings are on carbon markets, this has the potential to be an important source of funding which will permit Cedesol to keep operating.

Last week I worked on the CNC and a Grant application to Toyota. I think I know how to dial in the height control and find the correct voltages for the different materials we´re cutting. That´s good; it means the torch won´t dive into the material anymore and will maintaing the correct cutting height. Also, the Toyota grant´s due this Friday, which means I have to finish the application by the end of Monday so we can get it into the 48-hour mail to Tokyo. Luckily, it´s mostly done and only needs a few final edits.

But today is Sunday. Today is downtime. Thankfully.

La Paz from Bolivia,
Drew

1 comment:

Franz said...

Hi Drew!
Thanks for the comment on my blog. I'm glad that you relish in German hippies as much as I do. Also, I think your idea for a new danceable musical genre is great! I can't wait to give it a test listen/dance.
On another theme, I had a check-in meeting/presentation today, and I was able to push a really cool sustainable practice, I'll explain later in my blog, probably in a few days or so, but the exciting thing is that my two of my coworkers really liked the idea, which gave me some credibility, and I've been given the go ahead to following up the idea. !!!!
I'm pumped, so pumped that I rewarded myself by reading everybody's blog at work (the reward system makes sense to me).

Anyway Drew, keep up the good work.

Wiedersehen,
Franz